guide legend ring amateurs just do it

9 replies to this topic

#1 Szubi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:32 PM

INTRODUCTION
I’ve noticed that many new players have problems with drifting on Legend Ring and most of them avoid this map. The main reason is a different design of this map. The height difference creates new difficulty and most of track lacks barriers close to road creating illusion of freedom and fake safety. This guide is created mainly for new players that still have A and B drifting licenses. If you are D or E player then you will probably find this guide mostly useless (well maybe except the final part) . But if you drive this map like this:
Posted Image
This guide is exactly for you!

PART 1 – DRIFT INTRODUCTION

First of all let’s revise how drift works. While drifting the force of car (red arrow) pushes the car straight. However the rear wheels constantly loose and grab grip which creates the force which pushes the car the direction it’s facing (blue arrow). And if we combine both forces the car goes sideways in the direction we want to go (black arrow).
Posted Image
But if the rear of the car meets slippery surface the situation changes dramatically. Rear wheels have much less grip and can’t push the car as much as before. Then the car instead of turning around corner goes straight:

Posted Image
To save himself, the driver uses wider angle to change the direction of main force:file:///C:/Users/USER21/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.png
Posted Image

#2 Szubi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:36 PM

But why I’m talking about grip right now? Legend Ring isn’t the only map with grass. Drift park features it. Europe industrial maps also has slippery sidewalk. To notice the difference we need to use cross section images.

Posted Image
USA Airport 1 which has no grass. Car is surrounded by barriers.

Posted Image
Europe Industrial 1 map. Wide sidewalks then brick walls.

Posted Image
Japan Legend Ring. NO BARRIERS. Rough slippery terrain.

You fail drift when cars body touches obstacle. Touching walls is 0-1 situation. Either you hit the wall or not. There is no other possibility. However rough terrain works different. The bottom of the car’s body can touch the terrain and you fail drift…. or you are lucky enough the wheels will touch the slope before body does it.

Posted Image
Bad scenario: Body hits ground - Bye bye points and combo.
Not bad situation: You will save points but probably loose combo.

This makes the map unique. Technique that normally saves your car on grass here is your nail in coffin. The wider you drift on grass the higher possibility your bottom hits ground and you loose. What is more grass texture is sometimes confusing and it’s nearly impossible to calculate the height of the grass slope and you can’t be sure what hits the grass first: wheels (good) or body (bad). The conclusion is simple: do NOT drift on grass!* Stay away from edge!

*unless you learn where you can and where you can’t

#3 Szubi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:39 PM

PART 2 – CAR CHOICE
So… what car should I choose for this map? The best one is the one you are familiar with. You should choose car which you know its possibilities and limits. However cars with shorter trunks are preferred unless you want to scrub your trunk on ground. Startup AE86S 2013 (GT86) is purrrfect because its trunk ends right behind the rear wheels.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The worst cars for this map for new players are MRK II and KGB 2424 (GAZ 2424). Reasonable choice would be AE86S (GT86), DRX7 (RX7 FC), DRX8 (RX8) and 3S Coupe (BMW M3).

#4 Szubi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:43 PM

PART 3 – LEGEND RING ROUTES.
The thing that makes Legend Ring unique is limited choice of routes. Let’s compare Legend Ring to Industrial 1:
Posted Image

Industrial 1 is full of junctions which give you freedom of choice while Legend Ring if focused on one main route* and small dividing part which allows small variations but then merges back into main route:
Posted Image
* there are more hidden routes but more about in in final part

Personally I prefer counter-clockwise route because 1) this is how it is driven in real life 2) I got used to it. To make things simple red line is the starting point. I’ll focus on driving it counter-clockwise and sometimes post suggestions for clockwise if technique is different.
Posted Image

#5 Szubi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:00 PM

PART 4 – ACTUAL TECHNIQUES (GIFs)
Turn 1 & 2

Posted ImagePosted Image
Technically speaking it’s one 180degrees turn that shortens after middle. If your car has enough power you should be able to drift entire turn while braking or hand-braking in middle. Your entry speed should be faster than exit speed. If don’t have enough power simply drift one part then drive straight for moment and handbrake before 2nd turn.

Clockwise:
Shorter turn won’t let you gain enough speed* to beat both corners in one drift so you will probably need to handbrake in middle and then take longer turn.

*It’s possible but more in final part

Dividing part:
Personally I am fan of Green route because 1) I got used to it 2) and again this is how they drive it in real life

Green:

Posted Image
It’s probably the most naturally coming route as you simply continue drifting started on previous turn. Then switch to right and change gear up then switch left and do long fast drift until you reach again main route.

Yellow:
Posted Image
This route allows player to achieve top speed. If you are brave enough you can drift from side to side. If not, then simply press handbrake, drift a little to keep your combo and continue driving straight, then repeat.

Blue:
Posted Image
It’s perfect choice if your car has not enough power to make long drift needed on green route.Starts just like green but then you slow down when drifting right and slip into smaller road. It’s surrounded by small hills but turns come naturally and it’s unlikely you will hit them.

Red:
Posted Image
This route is used only by maniacs. Unlike blue, entrance turn is dangerous as 1st and 2nd turns are surrounded by steep hill. Good tempo is key to success. This route is great if you want to build up your combo fast – you can get x5 multiplyer when other routes give x3 combo.

This tutorial is still unfinished. More coming soon! Stay patient!

#6 skeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:02 AM

What makes legend ring so hard is that it's a poor copy of Ebisu Minami, the dimensions are incorrect.

#7 Szubi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:24 PM

Straight/Long turn right:
This turn depends on which way you have chosen before and how fast you are going. If you have chosen green route then on junction you should drift left close to inner edge and then do a very long drift to right. If you don’t have enough speed or you are afraid you won’t make it then do short drifts to the left to keep combo.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Long Uphill turn (the moment you are waiting for)
For new players I recommend driving slower than 100km/h and doing short drifts. Try practising 3 short drifts (handbrake, drift, drive straight, repeat x3) then try 2 longer drifts and continue training. If you've got enough speed and understand your car well you can try doing 1 long drift but remember to stay on inner side. Skid marks are good indicators: it's ok to drive on them but if you have passed them and moving outside then watch out. The turn gets sharper at the end so if you have problem on long part then on sharp turn you will probably crash.
Posted Image

If you understand the basics of this turn let's learn something more advanced: Start drift somewhere in the middle of road and as you continue drifting, move towards left side. But why? If you find the perfect line your car will slingshot straight into next turn, while drifting.
Posted Image

#8 American

Administration

• Moderators
  • 159 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:34 PM

I bet you can't drift that track without spilling the water...

Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Posted Image

Please keep graphics in signature limited to 128 pixels in height.

#9 Szubi

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:30 PM

American, on 21 September 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

I bet you can't drift that track without spilling the water...
Orly? Here, hold my beer... and give me a cup of water...
Posted Image

Back to topic:

Short straight
Actually it's small right turn but most of the players treat it as straight road. There are 4 ways to beat this corner. The easiest way is to drive straight and before loosing combo drifting a bit to the left (obviously)
Posted Image

If your car has more power than stock one then you can try switching to left
Posted Image

Grass technique. This method requires the corner technique I told you before. If previous curve was done correctly you should be able to slingshoot straight while still drifting, then you catch a bit of grass which extends the drift. Uncontrolled, the car will spin out but if you countersteer you will be prepared for next turn.
Posted Image
(notice that this one of those "forbitten" techniques that relays on using grass, where you risk hitting ground and losing combo)

The master technique. It's the perfect line. It is also based on getting closer to the left side technique. It allows you to continue the drift started on previous corner and finish it in next corner. The key factor is finding the perfect starting point. Then steer the car so it makes a veeeeery long curve, nearly drifting straight. In midpoint car should get close to right edge like previously but without getting on grass. It's very difficult technique and personally I've done it correctly less than 5 times and none of them were recorded (whooops).
In the GIF under this text I cheated a bit by using grass.
Posted Image
This technique is the fastest approach while still earning points.
Posted Image
Master technique - blue
Grass technique - orange

#10 SilverSpurs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationJakarta, Indonesia

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

skeem, on 15 September 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

What makes legend ring so hard is that it's a poor copy of Ebisu Minami, the dimensions are incorrect.

I think Legend Ring is hard because there are differences in terms of elevation. One example being the last turn (counter clockwise direction) before the straightway with the pit area on the right. This often throws the car off the ground if you go too fast. If we consider tracks such as Drift Park, that's easy because there's no elevation difference at all.

Btw the guide OP posted is really good. Thanks for sharing! Although the scoring system has changed, only racing line adjustment is necessary.
'Cause I drift with the wind; no one cares where I go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users