4 replies to this topic

#1 skeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:53 AM

I've been saying that I'd make a Tuning Guide for the longest time. The physics in this game really shine through when your car is tuned properly. A good tune allows you to push your skills and get more points. We all love more points because that means more money for parts. I personally enjoy the realism that tuning brings to the game given that I drift in real life. This is a general guide that should get you started for any and every vehicle. I'm just going to list the tuning options in the order they are presented in game and at the end I'll tell you which order you should start tuning in. Each vehicle is unique and will require fine tuning but this will get you started in the right direction!

*** NOTE: If you are playing using only a keyboard, not only does it make your drifting look bad but it makes the car completely unrealistic to drive. I recommend at least getting a gamepad (Xbox 360/ PS4 style) that connects to your PC.

TYRES

When drifting you want your front tyres to have grip. This will allow you to point the car where you want to go and keep you from spinning out. No matter what your power level is you will want to have maximum grip on the front tyres. Using the SOFT tyre compound and a low tire pressure will give you the most grip.

FRONT TYRES

PRESSURE
(-|-------------------------------------) < 1.80 bar >

TYRES HARDNESS
(-|-------------------------------------) < SOFT >

When drifting, you want your rear tyres to spin.. duh! BUT if your tyres are too hard and have too much air... you will not be drifting very fast. Your tyres will be spinning but the car will be moving very very slowly because they have no grip. Most people think that you would want the least amount of grip possible to drift... in reality you want to have SOME grip or else you are just spinning tyres and not going anywhere. Where you want to set your pressure and hardness depends on how much power you're making. For low power cars you will want a harder tyre and higher pressure. For high power cars you will want a softer tyre and lower pressure because it will not give you the necessary grip without it. Again, spinning tires and going no where! I always put more pressure in the rear tyres than the front tyres. You do not want to have so much grip that it overpowers your steering.

REAR TYRES (VERY LOW POWER)

PRESSURE
(-------------------------------------|-) < 3.30 bar >

TYRES HARDNESS
(-------------------------------------|-) < HARD >

REAR TYRES (VERY HIGH POWER)

PRESSURE
(----|----------------------------------) < 2.00 bar >

TYRES HARDNESS
(-|-------------------------------------) < SOFT >

WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION

I set this similar to what a real world car is like. Weight on the front of the car will help keep the front tyres gripping the ground and will feel the most natural. Too much weight on the front will make the car hard to control when transitioning drifts.

FRONT / REAR
(---------|-----------------------------) < 58% / 42% >

TRANSMISSION

The final drive ratio is one of the keys to making a low powered car drift and making a higher powered car manageable. It allows you to shorten or lengthen the differential gear which makes your acceleration through each gear faster or slower. It may seem counter intuitive but the higher number your gear ratio is, the faster the car will accelerate through each gear. Lower number means longer acceleration through each gear. This only affects the rear wheels so set your rear tyre pressure and rear camber FIRST. Then adjust the final drive using the scale below. If you're spinning uncontrollably, go towards the HIGH POWER side (lower number). If you're unable to get the tyres to spin with reasonable effort, go towards the LOW POWER side (higher number).

FINAL DRIVE

GEAR RATIO
[*HIGH POWER*] (--------------------|------------------) [*LOW POWER*]

GEAR BOX

The gearbox really only needs to be changed if you've reached the maximum power level or there is a weird gear that's too long or too short. Use the same scale as GEAR RATIO above to adjust. This is more of an advanced/ preference thing that you will get a feel for with experience. So if you're just starting out... Don't mess up all your gears! Leave it alone. I promise it will save you a headache.

SUSPENSION

I adjust my suspension to maximum stiffness in the rear and a little bit softer in the front. I bring down the overall stiffness but keep the front/ rear difference when I add more power upgrades. I recommend keeping around a 15% difference between front and rear stiffness. Harder suspension = better handling. The only exception to that is if you've adjusted everything else but your tires are still not getting enough grip at the lowest pressure/ softest compound. In that case, I would soften the suspension up but maintain the 15% difference between front/rear. This will help if you have too much power and can't put it down. When you buy suspension upgrades it makes the car stiffer. Too stiff with too much power is a recipe for spinning tires and going nowhere! You want a little bit of cushion to help put big power down.

FRONT SUSPENSION
STIFFNESS (---------------------------------|-----) < 85.00% >

REAR SUSPENSION
STIFFNESS (-------------------------------------|-) < 100.00% >

STEERING

Drifting is controlled by your front wheels so you want 100% of your steering range. Linearity, Velocity Rate, Saturation, and Deadzone, all depends on what type of controller you are using. If you are using a steering wheel then you should have experience with these values (if you don't, you better start researching!). If you are using a gamepad, I would suggest keeping the Linearity and Velocity Rate at 1.00. This should directly reflect the rate at which your thumbsticks are moving and give you the most realism. If your steering is too twitchy, turn down the Velocity Rate. If it's too slow turn up the Velocity Rate. Adjusting the Deadzone will also help with twitchy steering. Adjust the Deadzone in increments of 10% and see what feels best with your gamepad. My Logitech F310 feels most realistic at 20% Deadzone on the thumbsticks. Using a steering wheel setup is the most realistic way to play but steering wheel setups are expensive. This game has a built in counter steer feature that helps with gamepad controls much like Forza, Need For Speed, or any other racing game on a console that uses gamepads.

WHEEL ANGLES

Camber is the angle between the vertical axis of the wheels and the vertical axis of the vehicle when viewed from the front or rear. Zero degrees of camber is when the wheel is straight up. Negative camber is when the wheel is tilted inwards toward the car.

Posted Image

When you're drifting, you want your front wheels to be flat on the ground while in drift. The picture below will help you to understand the effect that camber has when you're turning.

Posted Image
As you can see in this awesome picture of the Driftworks AE86 below, when the wheels are turned they are pretty much flat on the ground giving the car the maximum amount of grip.

Posted Image

Toe is the angle of the wheels when looking at the car from above. Negative Toe is called Toe Out and Positive Toe is called Toe In as shown below...

Posted Image

For the purposes of drifting, you want to have Toe Out. Toe in will pull the car out of a drift when you counter steer because when one wheel is pointed where you want to go, the other wheel is pointed away from where you want to go. Toe Out helps to pull the car in the direction you point the wheels as shown below.

Posted Image

For the rear wheels you will want to have 0.00 degrees of Toe. Negative or Positive Toe on the rear wheels causes them to pull you in one way or another when drifting. As you can see on the image above, the rear wheels are straight. If they were Toe In or Toe Out then it would be pulling the car in different directions.

FRONT WHEELS

(HIGH POWER) CAMBER (-|-------------------------------------) < -7.00 >

(LOW POWER) CAMBER (--------------|------------------------) < -3.00 >

Notice how there are two different settings for LOW or HIGH power. When your car has LOW power, too much Camber will slow the car down because there is too much grip on the front wheels. As you increase your power, increase the camber.

TOE (----------------|----------------------) < -1.00 >

-1.00 is a good starting point. If it's too twitchy for you then go closer try closer to -0.50. More Toe Out will give you more steering response. I personally set mine to -1.80 or so but that may be too twitchy so start at -1.00 and work your way up.

REAR WHEELS

CAMBER (---------------------------------|-----) < -0.80 >

For the rear wheels you want to have the maximum amount of tyre contact on the ground just like the front wheels. BUT the rear wheels are not turning. They are fixed into place. If you have too much negative camber in the rear, you will be drifting on a tiny fraction of the tyre and not have enough grip to go anywhere. Much like how too much tire pressure will make you spin and go nowhere! -0.80 degrees feels good on most cars but also try 0.00 degrees and anywhere in between. I would not recommend going more than -1.5 degrees EVEN IF YOU HAVE LOW POWER. Adjust tyre pressure and compound, NOT camber if you cannot spin the wheels enough. If your tire pressure is maxed out and your compound is HARD but you still can't get it to drift, use a clutch kick or upgrade your power.

BRAKE

In drifting, having more braking power at the front helps to flick the rear end into a drift. Steer into the corner, hit the brakes while still steering, and the car will rotate around. Experiment with it and you will understand. It's more of an advanced technique. If you're not at that level then just set the brakes to what I say and you'll thank me later. Velocity Rate, Deadzone, and Saturation are related to what type of controller you are using as mentioned in the STEERING section above.

BRAKE BALANCE

FRONT / REAR (-----------|---------------------------) < 70% / 30% >

I set the Velocity Rate on the HANDBRAKE to the highest value < 2.50 > so it locks up quickly much like a hydraulic handbrake would in real life.

DOWNFORCE

Downforce is how much the air pushes down your car when driving fast in a straight line. The effect of Downforce in the game is not defined but from what I've noticed... It makes the car feel like it has a lower center of gravity but it will pull you out of a drift when you let off the throttle. Set the Downforce to 0% and drive. Set the Downforce to 100% and drive. See which one fits your driving style best. I prefer 0% because it does not interfere with the drift when you modulate the throttle. 0% is the more realistic option.

DIFFERENTIAL

The differential is what controls the spin of the rear wheels. Some people prefer a Limited Slip Differential style which would be ACCELERATION < YES > and DECELERATION < NO >. When you let off the gas it will stop the car sliding and pull it out of a drift. I prefer to have a Welded/ Locking Differential style because it's 100% predictable and that's what I drive in my real world drift car. That would be ACCELERATION < YES > and DECELERATION < YES >. Try both and see what you prefer.

WHAT DO I TUNE FIRST?!

I recommend tuning things in this order as each thing you tune has an effect.

1) Differential (Least amount of variables and you want your wheels to spin right?)
2) Tyre Pressure (Get your front wheels to grip and your rear wheels to spin!)
3) Wheel Angles (Camber and Toe, Front and Rear. Control the front wheels and slide the rear wheels smoothly.)
4) Brakes
5) Steering
6) Suspension Stiffness (No use trying to drift a tub of Jello.)
7) Transmission (Now that your tyre pressure is set, you can adjust how quickly it accelerates.)
8) Weight Distribution (Balance out that perfectly tuned drift car!)

UPGRADES, WHO WOULDN'T WANT MORE POWER?!?

There's no use having a bunch of power if you don't know how to drive it! Upgrade your steering, suspension, and then power. Weight reduction pretty much just adds power, or at least that's what it feels like. If you learn how to drift a car with good suspension and steering but low power, you will be much better at drifting when you add power! I cannot stress that enough. Too many people out there drifting with ridiculous power but can't control it well... Anyways I digress.

Hope you all enjoyed the guide and it helped you out! Send a message or leave a comment if you have any questions. Peace!

#2 SilverSpurs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationJakarta, Indonesia

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:12 AM

Can this be pinned, please?
'Cause I drift with the wind; no one cares where I go.

#3 D_Catarina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChapec√≥, Santa Catarina, Brazil

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

thats nice man, i was looking to tune my car, but i didnt how how things work, now i gonna try it, thank you!

#4 skeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

Exactly why I made the guide! Have fun

#5 skeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:50 AM

I updated the suspension section to account for really high powered cars and fixed a few spelling errors.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users