3 replies to this topic

#1 skeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:32 AM

If you are playing with a gamepad (Xbox/ PS4 type controller), you may have noticed that the steering wheels will go from lock to lock too quickly. This happens even when you're trying to make fine adjustments in drift or if you're stationary. When you counter steer, the front wheels will turn too far for the fine adjustment you want to make. The reason this happens is because of the controller. The thumbsticks allow more control than a keyboard but they are not as precise as a full steering wheel setup. To help remedy this effect it would be a good idea to have a sort of buffer. I think having an adjustable steering speed in the "TUNING" section would help. That way the steering could be adjusted to react more slowly when you counter steer and not "jump" all the way to one side when you press the thumbstick. Having this buffer could help each player to adjust to their style and increase everyone's smoothness when drifting. I would not alter any other the other physics, only the speed at which the steering wheels turn. All of the other physics in the game are fantastic. This is by far my favorite drifting game to play with a gamepad setup. I've done a lot of sim drifting/ modding with a full steering wheel setup so I know how things should feel. You're not going to get that kind of feel with a gamepad but the physics in this game makes them fun to use without the driving experience feeling too arcade like. Let me know what you guys think!

#2 MainAdmin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:13 AM

Try to set up steering speed in Tuning > Steer menu

#3 skeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

Velocity Rate, Linearity, Steering Range, etc.. Do not help no matter what settings I put them on. I have tried everything. I am saying that there needs to be an additional setting because the steering responds directly to the controller. It needs to be slower. The steering turns too fast in the game. It is impossible to turn a cars steering this fast in real life. I've included a video that shows what I'm talking about.

#4 skeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:29 PM

I've realized that my video only shows the steering speed when the car is stopped. I know that the steering speed when stopped is different from the steering speed when moving. As the vehicle speed increases, the steering becomes less reactive to your inputs. This is a good thing and in other racing games such as Assetto Corsa/ rFactor it's called "speed sensitivity". The problem is not the "speed sensitivity". The problem is when the car drifts and you countersteer. The countersteer/ drifting steering speed needs to have an adjustable rate to slow it down so that it can be more realistic for gamepad control. I understand the devs have a lot of things to do and the game is still in beta (I think..) but this would greatly improve gameplay and progress the game to another level of realism. I just wanted to update my post to make sure it was clear. Thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users