transmission gears ratios tuning help guide

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 EponymousX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:43 AM

Have you pretty much gotten the basics of tuning down but just don't understand (or have the hours to sit and figure out) what all of those gear number thingys and such do? Well, I'm here to help.

The first thing you have to understand is that there is no "one size fits all" tune. There are no "tricks" or "hacks" to this. You constantly have to tweak and adjust your gears depending on your car, track and your driving style.

When tuning my transmission, I follow the law of 5s. What this means, is that unless it's completely out of whack, I will only move one slider .05 at a time and test. This is the best way to set up your trans to get it right.

Final Gear - This gear is an overall gear that adjusts all the gears at once. It can make them all longer or shorter. This should be the second place you start tuning as it's the second in line to the rear gear. But unlike the rear gear, this has almost nothing to do with torque control and everything to do with how long or short your gear set is. The higher the number, the lower top speed but faster acceleration. The opposite is true if you set this number lower. However, if you set it too low or high, you will get nowhere. As a general starting point, start between 2 & 3 and adjust from there.

1st - 3rd Gears - I like to consider these my launch gears. If they are tuned correctly, you will barely burn out on the start of a run, but will accelerate quickly. Remember, every second counts on a run and just one second can stand between you and dead last. These don't require too much tuning as I find the stock sets to be ok. I don't generally deviate either way because of the amount of power these cars have. Small adjustments for these only.

4th - 6th Gears - I like to think of these as my racing gears. If I'm on a fast track, I will barely use 5th. If I'm going through sharp corners, I will generally fall to 4th or 3rd once in a great while. I make wide adjustments with these because I try to tune to make 4th gear the lowest gear I fall into around a bend. If you fall lower, you may lose too much momentum and end up spinning the tires. These gears should also be as close together as you can get the sliders. I think it's .20 is the closest you can get. The reason for this is because the closer your gears are in ratio (number), the smoother and faster you will shift with less power loss especially during cornering. I never set any of these gears lower than 1 or higher than 2.

Rear Gear - This gear is where the magic happens because this gear can also help if you are too loose or tight. This gear controls the amount of torque (Spinning force) that goes to the rear wheels. If you set this number higher, the gear will become shorter and produce more torque. Your car will become looser because the rear is getting less grip due to more power being delivered. This is good for smaller, less powerful cars that need that extra oompf to keep speed, but bad for bigger, more powerful beasts because you end up being a smoke machine for a bad 80's hair band. For more powerful rides, set this number lower so you can get more power to the ground with just enough traction to keep you going. I generally never set this number lower than 3.75.

Notes:
If you have what I call "gear bog" (where the car seems to slow down and revs drop in a certain gear), You take note of what gear it's happening in. (I'm more speed oriented when it comes to drifting, so I try to tune to just barely hit the end of 6th.(Bonus tip for speed guys)) You might want to try making that gear ratio higher to shorten the gear. What that does is keeps your revs higher, allowing you to maintain speed. If 6th gear is bogging, I prefer to adjust the final gear minutely until the car can handle it.

Try to tune in a certain order. I prefer to adjust the final gear first, followed by the individual gears, and then the rear gear. This will help you understand better what each part does and the effect it has.

Remember the rule of 5s so you can reset a single setting without mucking up your progress.

Remember that tuning takes time. There are no tricks. Every car (and every track and driver) is different.

~EponymousX~

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users